Thursday, June 25

Farewell Texas

Tomorrow is the big day. The day Ben, Cooper and I (with the help of my parents) get onto the plane and fly back to Oregon. The day Nate begins the long drive back home in the Uhaul.

I never doubted for a second that I am truly an Oregonian but I have to say that I am definitely sad to leave. Texas has been good to us. We have met some of the best friends ever. We have eaten tons (literally tons) of delicious Mexican food. We have enjoyed more hot weather days than I've probably experienced in my whole Oregon life combined. Texas also gave us our very own little Texan.


For this baby of the family, living on our own has taught me a lot. I've learned a ton about myself and Nate. I value my family and the time we have together more than ever before. I hope I never have to live away from them again. I've learned a little more Spanish and how to make queso. Nate and I have raised an almost 5 month old baby mostly on our own. I've learned to never assume something doesn't have meat in it just because it's not listed on the menu. I've learned a ton about the Alamo.


I now know what a real rainstorm looks like and I've lived through many thunderstorms. I was never bitten by a rattlesnake (nor did I ever even see one). I've tried on cowboy boots and been about a foot from a longhorn.

Here are some things I adore about Texas.
  • The weather in the winter.
  • The HEB sells Texas shaped crackers.
  • Seriously, everything is bigger in Texas.
  • Sonic (specifically Sonic Happy Hour).
  • Super Target
  • Christine, Lauren and Shae (as well as Beckham and Elise).

  • Bunco
  • Bennett was born here. We can take Ben out of Texas, but we can't take the Texas out of Ben.
  • Taco Cabana
  • Our neighborhood pool
  • It stills feels like I'm on a perma-vacation with all the gorgeous flowers and palm trees.
  • Our home.
I know we will be back to visit but it will never be quite the same. I know Nate will miss Texas more than I'll ever know. I know Ben will wonder about the place he was born. We will have many stories to tell him.


Thanks Texas. We will miss you!

2 comments:

us three said...

ah..yes..it truly is soooo hard to get fantastically good mexican food in oregon. it just is.

Hepburn Hilton said...

It's always sad to leave a place behind, even if you are looking forward to soemthing new. Why are you leaving Texas?